When it comes to completing your home exterior design, nothing pulls together all the elements like trim does. Trim board has the capability of bringing your project from a “6” to a “10” just like that. Bring out your home’s best features by selecting the best trim color and size, showcasing your home style. So whether your home is modern, traditional or Cape Cod, check out our tips from our Trend/Product Consultant, Diana Sousa, on how to choose the best option for your home.
What You Need To Know About Siding Trim
Should exterior trim be a different color than siding?
- I don’t believe there is a simple answer to that question, it’s really based on preference. I personally love creating a contrast between the siding and trim colors. By choosing trims that are drastically different from siding, the trims will frame the siding and will enhance your main color. For those who might be intimidated by opposing shades, I suggest choosing a trim color that is only a few shades lighter than your siding. This will add a nice contrast without being too striking.
Should soffit match siding or trim?
- I prefer when soffit matches the trim color, I feel it pulls the whole look together. This will add another design element and add depth to the overall exterior without causing color chaos. To keep things simple, I advise on harmonizing colors and having a maximum of 3 different shades on the exterior of a house. Start with your main, then your trims and then an accent shade. We offer plenty of suggestions on our site to help guide you on your design path.
Can you paint siding trim?
- That’s a complex question. Depending on the warranty, painting the trims might actually void it so I would suggest checking that as a first step. If you are in the clear, then it’s a great way to freshen up the exterior and give your home an update. Changing the color of the original trims will also add that much coveted curb appeal. Reach out to your local paint retailers for added guidance; they have color experts who will be happy to help you pick the perfect shade.
Discover KWP Trim benefits
- Prefinished on three sides and ready to install.
- Won’t crack, split or rot.
- Factory finish eliminates on-site painting.
- Uniform thickness ensures ease of installation
- 100% recycled wood.
- Available in a variety of different sizes and thicknesses.
- Free of knots and voids.
- No lamination.
- Unparalleled warranty